In 1900 there were 100,000 cheetahs in the world. By 2006, due to loss of habitat and prey, the number of cheetahs has declined to just 12,000. That's why I founded KidsLoveAnimals.com, which is dedicated to educating kids and their families about endangered species. If you love animals, please bookmark this site. In future posts we will take you along on our personal journey to Save the Animals through our KIDSLOVEANIMALS.com DVD series.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Siamang

Siamangs live in the rain forests of Indonesia and Malaysia. They do not have tails, which makes them members of the ape family.

This siamang came up to my daughter, who was crouching by the window to its habitat, and raised its arms to the glass as if it wanted to give her a hug. This was a very cool moment, and caused many smiles among the kids and adults who saw it happen.

Click HERE to learn about siamangs.

7 Comments:

Blogger Vallypee said...

Hi Paul
That must have been very touching and I bet your daughter will remember it for a long time to come. I have just come back from South Africa where I went a game reserve near Krugersdorp, a suburb of Johannesburg. They have a lot of animals there although it is quite a small reserve, and they are all looking very healthy because there have been such good rains this year. Good to see. Down in the Eastern Cape, we also saw a number of wild baboons who like to sit by the roadside and watch the traffic - their own BBC (Baboon Broadcasting Corp!)
I'll be posting some of my own pics this week if you'd like to take a look later on.
Take care
Val

10:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your animal pictures! you left a comment on my blog Cup of Joe under the pic of that horse i took a picture of....my 2 year old likes to look at the animal pictures on your blog..great work!!

4:30 PM

 
Blogger DiaKL said...

This must have been a wonderful happy moment, lovely :)

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Vallypee said...

Hi Paul
Just to let you know I've put my own animal pics up now. I know I've said it before, but I was so pleased to see how healthy all the animals look because of the good rains.. unlike other parts of the continent, these animals will have plenty to eat this winter.

It's also great to see how strongly all South africans feel about their wildlife and animals.
Take care
Val

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Paul,
What a lovely moment for your daughter. I had never heard of the siamang- thanks for the info.

Cheers,
AM

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Selvi Sindu said...

Hi Paul,
That is a real touching moment.Take care.I hope I was with u to see all this.Bye.
Cheers..

7:06 AM

 
Blogger Selvi Sindu said...

Hi Paul,
That is a real touching moment.Take care.I hope I was with u to see all this.Bye.
Cheers..

7:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home