In 1900 there were 100,000 cheetahs in the world. By 2006, due to loss of habitat and prey, the number of cheetahs has declined to just 12,000. That's why I founded KidsLoveAnimals.com, which is dedicated to educating kids and their families about endangered species. If you love animals, please bookmark this site. In future posts we will take you along on our personal journey to Save the Animals through our KIDSLOVEANIMALS.com DVD series.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Walking With Giants - African Elephants

African elephants are the world's largest land mammal and can weigh as much as 13,000 pounds (5,896.7 kg). Males may grow to be 21 feet (6.4m) in length and with their trunks they can reach as high as 23 feet (7m) to grab leaves from trees.

At Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon, you can make special arrangements to walk with elephants, or even give them a bath. It's amazing to get up close and personal with elephants and touch their rubbery hairy skin.
  • wildlifesafari.org

  • Click here to learn more!

  • Have you ever touched an elephant?

    13 Comments:

    Blogger Nate said...

    Very cool blog, keep up the good work!

    11:48 AM

     
    Blogger crallspace said...

    I only touched one at the circus as a kid. Many other greasy kid hands had touched it already, so technically, I have yet to touch and enjoy...ok that sounded wierd.

    12:30 PM

     
    Blogger Wendy C. said...

    Wow - now that was an unexpected treat! I went to Wildlife Safari in Winston as a child...several times, in fact. My grandparents lived up that way. Nice! Most enjoyable!

    7:18 PM

     
    Blogger Wendy C. said...

    Oh! And in answer to your question...yes, I actually got to ride one...not sure I should have...but I did.

    7:19 PM

     
    Blogger Dave said...

    My boy loves these pics man... he get's a kick outa animals ;)

    9:44 PM

     
    Blogger Joan Lindsay Kerr said...

    Paul,

    Thanks for your comment on my Travels With Robby blog. You were my first comment! I plan to add more over the next few days. Your blog is beautiful. I JUST finished reading Dark Star Safari and enjoyed it very much. I see it is on your favorite books list.

    Joan

    10:33 PM

     
    Blogger Kami said...

    I decided the other day that I am going to start saving up some money so we can take our son to Africa when he's about 10 or so.

    11:55 AM

     
    Blogger Lee said...

    wow how cool? don't know if you saw my elephant post from a few weeks back but my s/o used to hang out at the zoo with her zookeeper grandfather as a kid...always thought they were the most amazing animals! love your blog - I'm adding you to my blogroll :)

    1:36 PM

     
    Blogger String said...

    Very nice blog, love the cat pics too, and yes I have touched an elephant!

    7:31 AM

     
    Blogger clair said...

    I've ridden on an elephant twice in Thailand. They're truly majestic animals, so very graceful despite their size.

    Paddling down the river, I chanced upon a mother bathing and playing with her baby. It was beautiful :o)

    Cool blog, Paul, love the pictures. Will be adding you to my blogroll.

    6:04 PM

     
    Blogger Susanna said...

    Cool blog. I went to Africa last year and didn't get to go on safari, though I would have liked to. I really like your wildlife photos and will check back here again.

    And thanks for your comment on my photo.

    12:06 PM

     
    Blogger MBrown said...

    Wonderful!
    Man, I would love to take my sons to see these beautiful guys up close.
    I just wish still, that I could see them as the real kings that they are, ... in their own world.

    Thanks for sharing these images and the information.
    Excellent!!

    6:39 PM

     
    Blogger Cary Patrick Martin said...

    being originally from Syracuse, NY, I know elephants! The zoo there is one of the primary breeders in the country and, growing up, I knew all of them by name, especially Siri. Wonderful animals!

    6:32 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home