In 1900 there were 100,000 cheetahs in the world. By 2006, due to loss of habitat and prey, the number of cheetahs has declined to just 12,000. That's why I founded KidsLoveAnimals.com, which is dedicated to educating kids and their families about endangered species. If you love animals, please bookmark this site. In future posts we will take you along on our personal journey to Save the Animals through our KIDSLOVEANIMALS.com DVD series.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Reticulated Giraffes of Samburu

Do you remember the scene in Jurassic Park when Sam Neill & Laura Dern see a living dinosaur for the first time? Their jaws dropped and they stood there in complete and utter awe. That's the way I felt when I saw my first reticulated giraffes in Samburu National Reserve in Kenya. These gentle giants stand as tall as 18 feet (5.486 meters) and move with such brilliant majesty and grace. See for yourself by watching the video clip from "KidsLoveAnimals.com's African Safari" DVD.
  • CLICK here to watch these RETICULATED GIRAFFES on VIDEO
  • (If the audio sounds funny, hit pause for a second and let the video download a bit before you hit play again.)
  • CLICK here to watch same video clip at Google Video

  • How many vertebrae do you think that giraffes have in their necks?
    a). Seven
    b). Ten
    c). Fifteen
    Take a guess and I'll answer this question in my next post.

    8 Comments:

    Blogger erika said...

    Im guessing fifteen
    and thanks for leaving your comment, I love animals - and especialy photography, I was always one of those kids who had the huge national geographic posters all over her walls.

    3:09 PM

     
    Blogger Cary Patrick Martin said...

    I'm gonna go with 15.

    I saw giraffes for the first time only a few years ago at a visit to the San Diego Zoo. These were the animals I was most excited to get to see. When I finally saw them, I stared in such awe that one caught his eye on me and looked down condescendingly as if to say, "And what are you looking at?"

    It was wonderful! =)

    6:50 PM

     
    Blogger shara said...

    You know, that was the first time I saw video of giraffes and didn't think, oh how cute or oh how odd they look with those long necks, I just thought how absolutely lovely and grand they were.

    10:17 AM

     
    Blogger Amy Parris said...

    Love your photos. One day when the kids are old enough to remember it, I'd love to take them on a safari. They LOVE animals.

    12:59 PM

     
    Blogger Amy Parris said...

    I love your pictures. One day, when the kids are old enough to remember it, I'd love to take them on a safari. They LOVE animals.

    1:00 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hi! thanks for leaving a comment. you've got some amazing photography here.. :)

    4:46 AM

     
    Blogger andrew said...

    great blog, good to see you're doing your part in saving endangered species......nice elephant pics as well

    4:31 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    15?

    The very definition of awe I imagine (when you saw the giraffes)

    great blog.

    3:42 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home