In 1900 there were 100,000 cheetahs in the world. By 2006, due to loss of habitat and prey, the number of cheetahs has declined to just 12,000. That's why I founded KidsLoveAnimals.com, which is dedicated to educating kids and their families about endangered species. If you love animals, please bookmark this site. In future posts we will take you along on our personal journey to Save the Animals through our KIDSLOVEANIMALS.com DVD series.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

There Are Nine Sub-Species of Giraffes

Of the nine sub-species of giraffes, I filmed three of them in Kenya.

From left to right, in the photos above, they are the reticulated giraffe in Samburu National Reserve, the Masai giraffe in Masai Mara National Reserve, and Rothschild's Giraffe in Lake Nakuru National Park. The main differences between sub-species is in the coloration and the pattern of their skin and fur.

Answer to last week's question: Giraffes have 9 neck vertebrae, the same number as humans.

  • To learn more about giraffe sub-species CLICK HERE.

  • How long is a giraffe's tongue?

    10 Comments:

    Blogger Cool said...

    For me is very pleasent to see blog that call attentions to the animal world.
    Congratiolations for your Blog

    8:09 AM

     
    Blogger RandomThoughts said...

    Many years ago I went on a Safari in Kenya. While most people were thrilled by the big cats I fell in love with the giraffe. When seen in the wild, they have an extra grace and beauty that you can't capture in a zoo. Thanks for a beautiful blog site.
    btw, I believe a giraffe's tongue is approximately 20 inches long.

    4:24 PM

     
    Blogger memee said...

    Wow, nice blog! :) You've had some great travels - most people only dream of doing things like that, including me.

    4:58 PM

     
    Blogger CC said...

    Very cool blog. Thanks for visiting mine.

    5:31 PM

     
    Blogger Olivia Twist said...

    do you ever make it to alaska Paul?
    and i realy enjoyed your blog I will for sure be back. thank you for visiting ours
    Richard and Lexie

    6:05 PM

     
    Blogger Olivia Twist said...

    hope you can make it paul.. but a word of advice. Come in the summer your kids would like it better i think.

    6:42 PM

     
    Blogger Selvi Sindu said...

    Thanks for ur reply. I love animals. I have been to Lurzern for vacations but this is my first year I have come to live here. My life seems so incomplete without pets. In India I had so many pets running all over my room. My squirrel was my faviorate. I am interested in animals. If u have something interesting please do mail me. I India I used to work projects at school talking about preserving nature for animals. I can always help you out with anything concerning animals. Its so hard for me to go on here without pets. Thank you for yozr reply. I hope you keep in touch.
    Sindu.S

    11:49 AM

     
    Blogger Dr Abhishek Pandey said...

    superb blog !!

    3:52 AM

     
    Blogger Gary said...

    I'm always looking for great blogs and I must say that I think yours is one of the best I've seen. I think that fy far the critical issue with endangered species is loss of habitat.

    5:24 AM

     
    Blogger Gary Mortimer said...

    If your back in the Mara this year I would love to cat to you for my Safari Cast, podcast.

    Its very home made but Dr Richard Estes makes up for it by signing!!

    Keep up the good work

    Gary

    http://spaces.msn.com/safaricast

    6:13 AM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home